Senior Systems Software Engineer
Senior Systems Software Engineer
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new generation to create technology, not just consume it.
- In just over five years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 350,000 kits to 150 countries, our oldest computer maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
- Kano is available in over 4,500 retail locations, and our partners include Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and more.
- Our products are used in thousands of code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education, including integration with the national Argentine education system.
- Kano has raised > $30m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Index Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neill, James Higa & Troy Carter.
- One of Fast Company's Top Ten Most Innovative Consumer Electronics companies alongside Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and more.
- Our fans and customers include Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Kano is evolving from a startup to becoming a mainstream consumer creativity brand. Along the way, our audience is expanding, and we will interact with millions of customers this year. We are an entrepreneurial, nimble, can do business and we must retain this culture as we scale. Our mission remains the same, to help people create technology, not just consume it.
As Kano looks to grow and reach more customers, there is a growing need to understand more about the platforms which we support with our products and look at how we can enhance these experiences on those platforms by using more of the built-in tools; a major one of these platforms is Windows.
The systems team is responsible for the creation, maintenance and direction of our operating system distribution: Kano OS.
In a high level overview, our core OS tech stack today consists of the following:
- Qt (Cross-platform UI framework)
- Raspbian (Debian Linux for Raspberry Pi)
As we maintain a whole operating system, atop these we have apps written with the following frameworks:
- JS/Electron/Google Polymer web components
To accommodate for future development, we are looking to abstract away the base Raspbian dependency and move to a platform-agnostic model.
The principal responsibility of this engineer is to architect and deliver platform abstraction, applying Windows platform-specific knowledge to shape this abstraction. This encompasses:
- Provide insights into Windows application models
- Leading efforts to produce platform-independent abstraction layers
- Active participation in and contribution to architectural vision for abstraction
- Writing maintainable, testable code
- Delivering features which add value to our users
- Working with cross-functional teams to facilitate delivery onto our platform
- Produce and maintain the Kano operating system
- 5+ years hands-on Windows systems programming experience (C/C++/C#/Rust)
- 3+ years experience working on system design and architecture
- 3+ years of experience working with systems programming in production with Git workflow, test automation, CI/CD, JIRA and Jenkins
- Experience deploying operating systems to SBCs
- Experience delivering Windows software updates
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or another analytical discipline, or equivalent experience
Nice to Have
- Experience with end-to-end OEM Windows computer production
- Experience managing Linux operating system distributions
- 3+ years of experience with a scripting language like Python, JS, Lua (Python preferred)
- Experience working in a TDD/BDD fashion
- Experience testing hardware devices
- Experience working in an Agile manner
- Experience using UI frameworks (such as Qt)
- Join one of the world’s fastest growing full stack tech startups - huge opportunities for learning and advancement.
- Flexible working schedule.
- You will partake in the company’s Stock Option plan
- Work with an exceptional and diverse group of people
- Informal, friendly and collaborative office environment