Junior Frontend Developer
Junior Frontend Developer
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new generation to create technology, not just consume it.
- In just over five years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 350,000 kits to 150 countries, our oldest computer maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
- Kano is available in over 4,500 retail locations, and our partners include Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and more.
- Our products are used in thousands of code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education, including integration with the national Argentine education system.
- Kano has raised > $30m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Index Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neill, James Higa & Troy Carter.
- One of Fast Company's Top Ten Most Innovative Consumer Electronics companies alongside Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and more.
- Our fans and customers include Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Kano is evolving from a startup to becoming a mainstream consumer creativity brand. Along the way, our audience is expanding, and we will interact with millions of customers this year. We are an entrepreneurial, nimble, can do business and we must retain this culture as we scale. Our mission remains the same, to help people create technology, not just consume it.
What is the role? - As part of our software experiences team you will be making meaningful contributions to our core products. Essentially we are building tools that make learning to code fun for kids. We build engaging and clever interfaces to get kids making magic from day one. Some problems we’ve worked on this year include:
- Can we create 1,000 interactive owls a second?
- How best to create a particle generator that kids can code themselves?
- How do we capture 3d data over bluetooth and use machine learning to recognise complex patterns in real time?
On a day to day basis you will be solving these kind of problems, implementing designs and creating tools get kids excited about coding.
Our tech stack is currently:
- Electron and Cordova
- HTML, CSS
- Various AWS tools
Key team wins - This team was formed to create an app for our Harry Potter Coding Wand. We delivered a cross-platform app (iOS, Android, Windows and Mac) going out to over 200,000 users around the world. We see our work appear in Apple and Windows stores and be featured on huge TV shows and publications. Next, we’re taking the magic we’ve made and adapting it to mess and mix with sound, teach coding through science fiction and pass on our love for creative coding to an even bigger audience. Want to come join us and help make something to be proud of?
Technical requirements -
- 1+ years of coding, can be personal work. We will want examples to see what you can do.
- A keen interest in and understanding of technology.
- Ability to learn quickly and an inquisitive nature.
- A creative spark, you bring something extra to the projects you’re involved in.
- Great communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- You have experience with a test framework.
- Version control experience, especially Git.
- Have worked with a modern framework React, Angular, Polymer etc.
- Experience working in a team on large projects.
- Join one of the world’s fastest growing full stack tech startups - huge opportunities for learning and advancement.
- Flexible working schedule.
- You will partake in the company’s Stock Option plan
- Team nights out, tons of office snacks and a competitive holiday structure
- Personal Perkbox account
- £1600 flexible benefits pot
- Large discount on all Kano products
- Work with an exceptional and diverse group of people
- Informal, friendly and collaborative office environment