Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new generation to create technology, not just consume it.
- In just over five years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 350,000 kits to 150 countries, our oldest computer maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
- Kano is available in over 4,500 retail locations, and our partners include Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and more.
- Our products are used in thousands of code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education, including integration with the national Argentine education system.
- Kano has raised > $30m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Index Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neill, James Higa & Troy Carter.
- One of Fast Company's Top Ten Most Innovative Consumer Electronics companies alongside Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and more.
- Our fans and customers include Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Kano is evolving from a startup to becoming a mainstream consumer creativity brand. Along the way, our audience is expanding, and we will interact with millions of customers this year. We are an entrepreneurial, nimble, can do business and we must retain this culture as we scale. Our mission remains the same, to help people create technology, not just consume it.
Software Product Management at Kano
Working on Kano’s existing and future range of kits, you will contribute to the software direction, align business goals and customer needs, creatively solve user problems, and test ideas before working to bring them to life.
As a key member of a cross functional team, you’ll be working with designers and engineers to create products that will inspire the next generation of creative coders.
A typical week for a Kano PM might see you working with stakeholders in creative, marketing, sales, finance, or partnerships to identify and mitigate product risks; brainstorming new ways to teach coding concepts to users of all ages; creating and running user tests to increase engagement, retention, and learning outcomes as part of ongoing discovery work; breaking down product features into requirements for engineering; prioritising the team development backlog; and writing and refining specifications for new features.
Product team wins
Kano has successfully expanded its product range from one to five kits in two years, and has brought its software to tablets, desktops, and the web to support them.
Over 60,000,000 lines of code have been made and shared on Kano World, our creative coding community platform.
The Harry Potter Kano Coding kit was recently included in Time Magazine’s best Inventions of 2018, was awarded Best of Innovations at CES, and is a finalist for Toy of the Year 2019.
Kano’s Computer Kits have won numerous design awards, including a red dot design award and a Cannes Lions gold. Steve Wozniak called it “A way for anyone to stumble onto their affinity and passion for computer technology.”
- Experience as a software product manager or product owner, who has shipped at least one product or large feature.
- A creative problem solver
- Ability to understand business and user needs simultaneously
- Experience collecting and using quantitative data to make feature decisions, and comfortable running qualitative user tests
Nice to haves
- Specific experience in product design, UX, data analysis, research, or software development
- Experience managing a cross functional product team backlog
- Professional or hobbyist coding experience
- Interest in the STE(A)M, maker, or learn to code spaces
- Experience in classrooms, workshops, after school clubs, or volunteering with kids
- Join one of the world’s fastest growing full stack tech startups - huge opportunities for learning and advancement.
- Flexible working schedule.
- You will partake in the company’s Stock Option plan
- Team nights out, tons of office snacks and a competitive holiday structure
- Personal Perkbox account
- £1600 flexible benefits pot
- Large discount on all Kano products
- Work with an exceptional and diverse group of people
- Informal, friendly and collaborative office environment
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!